FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 31, 2018
Contact: Sarah Glunz
BACK TO SCHOOL WITH STAR-STUDDED LUNCH IDEAS FROM
Carlisle, PA – What’s for lunch? The nutritionists at GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets want to make packing the lunchbox easier this school year by using Guiding Stars® as a starting point for buying more nutritious food.
Earlier this year, GIANT/MARTIN’S launched Guiding Stars®, a nutrition navigation program to help shoppers quickly identify more nutritious food choices throughout the store. With symbols that are visible at a glance, Guiding Stars aims to take the guesswork out of nutrition by decoding labels into one clear rating. More than 9,000 items at GIANT/MARTIN’S stores feature the star ranking system showcasing “good,” “better,” and “best” choices.
To build your own star-rated lunchbox, GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists suggest:
- Adding lots of colorful fruits and veggies.
- Choosing whole grains with fiber.
- Aiming for at least one serving of dairy for calcium, vitamin D, and protein.
- Including protein to stay full.
- Remembering to have fun and try new things!
GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists have taken some lunchbox favorites and added a shiny new twist for the new school year. Try one or all of these ideas!
Brilliant bento boxes
- Tuna salad made with plain Greek yogurt + whole wheat crackers + 2% milk cheese + unsweetened applesauce
- Edamame + sliced strawberries + popcorn + part-skim milk cheese stick
- Hummus + veggies + whole grain pita bread + part-skim milk cheese stick + raisins
- Turkey and spinach pinwheels + yogurt + apple slicesFamily meal ideas are featured in GIANT’S weekly circular, while its digital app has personalized meals deals and money-saving coupons.
Gourmet ‘PB and J’
- Sunflower seed butter, banana & jam sandwich on whole wheat bread + baby carrots + part-skim milk cheese stick
- Sunflower seed butter, sliced strawberries & mini chocolate chips rolled up into a whole wheat flower tortilla + cottage cheese
Pumped up pasta salad
- Tri color pasta salad with edamame, rainbow carrots, and mini cucumbers tossed with a light dressing + pear slices
- Protein pasta tossed with rotisserie chicken, grape tomatoes, 2% milk cheddar cheese with drizzle of light ranch dressing + star fruit
- Multi-grain tortilla chips topped with black beans, diced chicken, 2% milk cheese, salsa, and lettuce with drizzle of salsa ranch yogurt dressing + grapes
- Make-your-own pizza with whole wheat crackers, pizza sauce, part-skim milk mozzarella, and any other favorite toppings. Add a fruit on the side for a balanced lunch
Also make sure to include Guiding Star-rated snacks to add to a lunchbox or to enjoy after school. Some items to choose include 100 calorie nut packs, dry roasted edamame individual packs, individual bags of sea salt popcorn, roasted chickpeas, raisins, fruit cups in 100 percent juice, unsweetened applesauce, 2% milk cheese, Greek yogurt, and multigrain tortilla chips and salsa.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
GIANT Food Stores, LLC has more than 170 neighborhood stores and offers home delivery, online/mobile ordering, fuel centers, pharmacies, plus in-store nutritionists. Serving families in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, GIANT Food Stores is proud to employ more than 30,000 associates who believe in giving back to their community. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT Food Stores is a company of Ahold Delhaize. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.