FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT RECOGNIZES STORE TEAMS AND ASSOCIATES DURING ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING
Company also announces $22 million in giving throughout 2018
Carlisle, PA (March 13, 2019) – GIANT Food Stores celebrated the achievements of its store teams and
associates at its annual business meeting held in Lancaster, Pa., last week. Over 30 awards were presented
recognizing the recipients’ commitment to the company, dedication to customer service, and driving new
“It’s impossible to be more proud than I am of this team, and this year’s award recipients embody all the values that GIANT stands for,” said Nicholas Bertram, president, GIANT Food Stores. “I believe our team of 30,000 associates is what makes GIANT so special, and together we are innovating, adapting, bringing families around the table, and totally laser‐focused on our customers and our communities.”
The 2019 award recipients include:
- Store Associates of the year, awarded to a team‐oriented store associate in each of the company’s 11 operating districts who consistently provide outstanding customer service, is always willing to support fellow associates, and truly lives by the company’s values, went to:
- Joe Babylon, 1502 West Chester Pike, West Chester, Pa.
- Gail Doherty, 240 Elizabeth Drive, Stephens City, Va.
- Nikki Futer, 2395 York Road, Jamison, Pa.
- Jack Harris, 2450 Chemical Road, Plymouth Meeting, Pa.
- Jennifer Heiden, 1760 Dekalb Pike, Blue Bell, Pa.
- Mark Howard, 136 Kline Village, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Linda Kemmerer, 3070 Tilghman St., Allentown, Pa.
- Christy Komorowski, 1465 W. Broad St., Quakertown, Pa.
- Lora Spiker, 14635 Mt. Airy Road, Shrewsbury, Pa.
- Christina Pulaski, 600 E. Lancaster Road, Reading, Pa.
- Bonnie Wilson, 1320 Londontown Blvd., Eldersburg, Md.
Mark Howard, from the store located at 136 Kline Village in Harrisburg, was recognized as the Top Store Associate companywide.
- President's Award was presented to Tim Santoro, district director of operations, Lancaster and York, Pa. This award recognizes an associate who contributes to the company’s success by creating a work environment that is united together and ready to take on new challenges, living by the company’s cultural values, and is a visionary who seeks ways to improve customer shopping experiences.
- Support Associate of the Year was presented to Chris Brand, director, external communications and community relations. This award recognizes a team‐oriented associate based in the company’s Carlisle, Pa. headquarters who consistently and emphatically provides support to the stores by training in the moment, while listening and acting with a sense of urgency.
- Merchant of the Year, awarded to an individual who anticipates what customers want and understands that improving the shopping experience and the value proposition simultaneously is the goal, was presented to Brian Lorenz, director, Deli and Bakery.
- Marketer of the Year was presented to Dana Sherwood, design manager. This award recognizes an individual who relentlessly focuses on the customer, always doing what is right to improve their shopping experience, and actively seeks ways to bring new ideas into the market.
- Category Team of the Year, awarded to a category team in each portfolio for continuously finding ways to enhance the customers’ shopping experience, actively seeking ways to simplify processes, and exemplifying a “one team” attitude:
- Beer and Wine ‐ Chad Kyollen, category manager
- Fruit ‐ Rob Backer, category manager
- Frozen ‐ Karen Brassel, category manager
- Seafood ‐ Bryan Beck, category manager
- Household and Pet ‐ Henry Weber, category manager
Prepared Foods, led by Rob Palmeri, category manager, was selected as the overall category team of the year.
In addition to the awards presentation, GIANT Food Stores also announced $22.5 million in cash and product donations to its local communities in 2018. The overall donations, from customers, associates, vendors, and the company, included $10 million to fight hunger, $6.2 million to help kids and more than $5 million towards building healthier communities.
Highlights of the overall $22 million in cash and product donations include:
- Through the company’s signature Meat the Needs program and other efforts, more than 4 million pounds of food were given to regional food banks, equaling more than 3.4 million meals
- $3.34 million to children’s health efforts, including $1.4 million from customers through Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in‐store campaigns
- $3 million to more than 2,000 public and private schools through A+ School Rewards
- $1 million to Philabundance and $800,000 to Central Pennsylvania Food Bank to help increase youth programs, provide healthier food options, and improve logistics in all regions served
- $3 million to over 100 food pantries and food banks, including $1.2 million from customers through the company’s Bag Hunger in‐store campaigns
- $800,000 to service organizations that support the men and women of the Armed Forces, including more than $370,000 to Liberty USO and more than $390,000 to the American Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces program
- 10,000 Thanksgiving turkeys to help families in need
“Last year we celebrated our 95th anniversary and we want to extend one GIANT thanks to our customers,
associates and vendor partners who joined us in marking this milestone through their generous support of
efforts to fight hunger and help kids in our local communities,” added Bertram.
Editor’s Note: Photos available upon request for the award winners.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
GIANT Food Stores, LLC has more than 170 neighborhood stores and offers home delivery, online/mobile ordering, fuel centers, pharmacies, plus in-store nutritionists. Serving families in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, GIANT Food Stores is proud to employ nearly 30,000 associates who believe in giving back to their community. The GIANT Family of Brands includes GIANT, MARTIN'S Food Markets, and GIANT Heirloom Market. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT Food Stores is a company of Ahold Delhaize. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.