FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT OPENS BRAND NEW STATE COLLEGE STORE
Carlisle, PA, June 7, 2019 – GIANT Food Stores celebrated the grand opening of its new State College store located at 2121 Atherton St. on Friday, June 7 at 8 a.m. The new 68,000 square foot store, which replaces GIANT’S current store located at 2222 E. College Ave., State College, operates 6 a.m. to midnight seven days a week and employs approximately 165 full and part time associates.
“There’s a real sense of excitement in the air today, especially among our store team, who has worked incredibly hard over the past few weeks to make today’s grand opening possible,” said Wendy Evans, store manager. “We are excited to welcome the State College community to our new location and having the opportunity to show them what’s in store and the many ways GIANT is here to help make their lives a bit easier.”
The new State College store features GIANT’S signature fresh departments, coupled with expanded product variety and new offerings, including:
- Farm fresh produce - More than 350 fresh produce items including a variety of organic selections, locally grown produce, in-store fresh cut vegetables and fruits, and a full salad bar;
- Full-service deli – Fresh assortment of Boar’s Head deli meats and cheeses along with an expanded selection of prepared foods and grab and go meals;
- Full-service bakery – Featuring signature cakes, artisan breads, made-fresh donuts and other dessert favorites;
- Full-service floral – Offering a variety of fresh-cut flowers and stunning arrangements;
- Full-service pharmacy - Pharmacists available seven days a week to fill prescriptions, offer expert advice and administer vaccines;
- GIANT DIRECT, Powered by Peapod - Gives busy State College customers the opportunity to order their groceries online for easy curbside pick-up at peapod.com.
- Beer & Wine Eatery – Stocked with more than 300 varieties of both national and local brand beer and wine in addition to fresh-made fare including meal combos, sandwiches, wraps, salads, subs, sushi and an Asian hot bar; and
- Entertaining by GIANT – Appetizers, entrees and even desserts are all available through GIANT’S catering service, and with online ordering at giantfoodstores.com, celebrations have never been easier.
As part of GIANT’S ongoing philanthropic commitment, the store celebrated its opening by making $1,000 donations to each of the following local community groups: Alpha Fire Company, Centre County Cadet Camp (on behalf of State College Police Department), Geisinger Janet Weis Children’s Hospital, State College Area School District and the State College Food Bank.
In celebration of the grand opening State College customers can enjoy special grand opening savings, in-store entertainment and giveaways throughout the weekend:
- Friday, June 7: The first 200 customers in line received a free GIANT reusable shopping bag, a six-pack GIANT brand English muffins and other grand opening savings. The day also includes sampling from Turkey Hill and 5 Hour Energy and appearances from Hersheypark characters and Tony the Tiger.
- Saturday, June 8: Activities include balloon animals from 11 a.m.–1 p.m., an appearance by the Cheerios Honey Bee from 11a.m. – 3 p.m. and a giveaway of GIANT gift cards from the Nature’s Promise Prize Patrol from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sunday, June 9: Activities include free frisbee giveaway for children from 12 p.m. – 3 p.m., an appearance by the Cheerios Honey Bee from 11a.m. – 3 p.m. and a giveaway of GIANT gift cards from the Nature’s Promise Prize Patrol from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT Food Stores is passionate about building strong families and healthy communities. With a customer-centric approach in all it does, GIANT serves millions of families across Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia through its nearly 180 neighborhood stores, 132 pharmacies, 101 fuel stations and its online grocery ordering and delivery services. GIANT Food Stores is proud to employ more than 30,000 associates who believe in giving back to their community and over the last five years, GIANT, with the help of its customers and vendor partners, has proudly donated more than $100 million to local nonprofits.The GIANT Family of Brands includes GIANT, MARTIN'S Food Markets, GIANT Heirloom Market, and GIANT DIRECT, Powered by Peapod. GIANT Food Stores is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.