FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT HEIRLOOM MARKET™ CELEBRATES GRAND OPENING IN UNIVERSITY CITY
Grand opening celebration featured remarks by GIANT Food Stores President Nicholas Bertram; Company made a total $5,000 donation to two local community partners, Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative and Sharing Excess, Inc.
Carlisle, PA, August 2, 2019 – Today, GIANT Food Stores opened its new GIANT Heirloom Market™ in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia at a Grand Opening event that included remarks by President of GIANT Food Stores Nicholas Bertram, the Director of Business Development for the City of Philadelphia, Dawn Summerville, and Philadelphia City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell. The store, located at 3401 Chestnut Street, is the second GIANT Heirloom Market to open in the city.
“Seeing the impressive crowd of students, professionals, and neighborhood residents that came through our doors on our opening day, our entire team is energized by the enthusiastic response we’ve already received,” said Angel Cordero, store manager, GIANT Heirloom Market. “We’re so excited to be part of the inspiring University City community.”
“I want to thank GIANT for extending its commitment to providing fresh, healthy and accessible food options to those who live and work in Philadelphia,” said Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney. “The vibrant neighborhood of University City, home to both longtime residents and new students exploring our city, will certainly benefit from this addition. We’re excited to see GIANT’S presence continue to grow here in Philadelphia.”
To celebrate the store opening, GIANT made two, $2,500 donations. The first donation was to the University of Pennsylvania's Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative, which helps build and sustain healthy communities by promoting nutrition education, food access and sovereignty, and physical fitness in West Philadelphia.
"We are thrilled to partner with GIANT Heirloom Market to provide hands-on nutrition education to a wider audience,” said Dr. Katera Moore, director, Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative. “Receiving this donation will allow us to promote food access and healthy cooking skills to improve the lives of families in the communities we serve."
The second donation was made to Sharing Excess, Inc., a Drexel University-based nonprofit that helps students share food excess with community members in need.
“Sharing Excess is proud to be partnering with the new GIANT Heirloom Market opening near Drexel’s campus to fight food insecurity in Philadelphia. We’re so excited that Drexel students will finally have access to a market that truly cares about healthy, local, and affordable food options, just a few steps away from the heart of campus!” said Evan Ehlers, founder, Sharing Excess, Inc. “We look forward to working together with GIANT Heirloom Market to reduce food waste and serve communities in need for years to come.”
The new 9,950 square-foot GIANT Heirloom Market, situated conveniently near Drexel University, the University of Pennsylvania, and the area’s hospitals, offers an experience uniquely crafted to meet the needs of families and neighbors in the University City community.
Features of GIANT Heirloom Market in University City
- Fresh local produce, grab-and-go meals, plant‐based foods, a large gluten-free section, Philadelphia‐area food products, a large sushi selection, a gourmet cheese section, kombucha on tap, a do‐it‐yourself olive oil and vinegar blending station, a sampling station, wine, beer, and a rapid bottle chiller.
- GIANT Heirloom Market will once again celebrate and feature local partnerships with Philadelphia‐area food purveyors including High Street on Market, Claudio Specialty Foods, and Isgro Pastries as well as a grind-your-own-beans option featuring locally-based One Village Coffee.
- In addition to traditional forms of payment, the store accepts payment by DragonCard (Drexel University’s convenient student payment cards).
- To best meet the needs of its busy customers, the store will also offer GIANT Direct, Powered by Peapod. Through GIANT DIRECT, customers can access tens of thousands of items found in GIANT stores, all of which can be easily ordered online for next-day pick up or delivery. The innovative Scan It! mobile app lets customers build a shopping list and check items off as they shop, allowing for a faster checkout.
- Gathering space with electronic device charging stations.
To learn more about GIANT Heirloom Market, visit www.heirloommarket.com and like us on Facebook.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT Food Stores is passionate about building strong families and creating healthier communities for a better future. GIANT proudly serves millions of families across Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. An omni-channel retailer, GIANT showcases the talents of its more than 32,000 associates at its 181 stores, 132 pharmacies, 102 fuel stations and over 100 online pickup hubs and grocery delivery service in hundreds of zip codes. As a company that has deep community roots coupled with a purpose-driven culture, its associates believe in giving back to their community and over the last five years, GIANT, with the help of its customers and vendor partners, has proudly donated more than $100 million to local nonprofits. The GIANT Food Stores family of brands includes GIANT, MARTIN'S Food Markets, GIANT Heirloom Market, GIANT Direct and MARTIN’S Direct. GIANT Food Stores is a proud company of Ahold Delhaize USA. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.