FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT HEIRLOOM MARKET™ CELEBRATES GRAND OPENING IN NORTHERN LIBERTIES
Company Donates $1,000 to three local community partners, Helping Hands Rescue Mission, the Food Trust and Northern Liberties Recreation Center
Carlisle, PA, Novemver 15, 2019 – Today, GIANT Food Stores opened its new GIANT Heirloom Market™ in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia at a grand opening event that included remarks by President of GIANT Food Stores Nicholas Bertram and Representatives of Philadelphia City. The store, located at 1002 N. Second Street, is the third GIANT Heirloom Market to open in the city. Highlights of the new location include an underground taproom and gaming area, a first for the company.
“After much anticipation, the moment we’ve been waiting for – opening day – has arrived,” said Tommy McClain, store manager, GIANT Heirloom Market. “I know I speak for the entire team when I say we are thrilled to officially be a part of the Northern Liberties neighborhood and we look forward to showing our neighbors what’s inside their new grocery store. Whether it’s answering the age old question of what’s for dinner or planning their Thanksgiving menu, GIANT Heirloom Market is here for the families of Northern Liberties.”
“The new GIANT Heirloom Markets have been an incredible asset to our city’s neighborhoods, both in terms of boosting the local economy and providing residents with access to fresh, healthy food,” said Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney. “I look forward to continuing to work with GIANT as it deepens its commitment to Philadelphia.”
To celebrate the store opening, GIANT made three $1,000 donations to nonprofits that serve Northern Liberties:
- Helping Hands Rescue Mission - The Mission offers a number of programs to bring academic, athletic, social and artistic balance to the lives of children in North Philadelphia;
- The Food Trust - Works to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, nutritious food and information to make healthy decisions;
- Northern Liberties Recreation Center – Serves the community through several programs and is an important neighborhood resource for adults and children alike.
Features of GIANT Heirloom Market in Northern Liberties
- The Underground – a taproom in the lower level. This space will offer more than 40 craft beers, wines, hard seltzers and hard kombucha on tap, plus a gaming area with classic arcade games, shuffleboard and a Scrabble Wall. Customers can sample an ounce or order a full pour of their beverage of choice from touch screens above each tap. All offerings in the taproom are also available to go.
- Fresh local produce, grab-and-go meals, plant‐based foods, a gluten-free section, Philadelphia‐area food products, sushi, a gourmet cheese section, kombucha on tap, a do‐it‐yourself olive oil and vinegar blending station, a sampling station, wine, beer, and a rapid bottle chiller.
- GIANT Heirloom Market will once again celebrate and feature local partnerships with Philadelphia‐area food purveyors including High Street on Market, Claudio Specialty Foods, and Isgro Pastries as well as a grind-your-own-beans option featuring locally-based One Village Coffee.
- To best meet the needs of its busy customers, the store will also offer GIANT DIRECT. Through GIANT DIRECT, customers can access tens of thousands of items found in GIANT stores, all of which can be easily ordered online for next-day pick up or delivery. • The innovative Scan It! mobile app lets customers build a shopping list and check items off as they shop, allowing for a faster checkout.
The store will operate 7 a.m.-10 p.m., seven days a week and will employ approximately 50 full and part-time partners.
To learn more about GIANT Heirloom Market, visit www.heirloommarket.com and like us on Facebook.
About GIANT Food Stores, LLC
Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pa., GIANT Food Stores is passionate about connecting families and creating healthier communities. As an omni-channel retailer, GIANT proudly serves millions of neighbors across Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. With more than 32,000 talented team members supporting over 180 stores, 132 pharmacies, 102 fuel stations, and over 115 online pickup hubs and grocery delivery service in hundreds of zip codes, GIANT is changing the customer experience and creating an impact in local communities for a better future. The GIANT Food Stores family of brands includes GIANT, MARTIN'S Food Markets, GIANT Heirloom Market, GIANT DIRECT and MARTIN’S DIRECT. GIANT Food Stores is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA. For more information, visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites.