November 5, 2013
GIANT FOOD STORES OPENS NEWTOWN SQUARE STORE
Introduces shoppers to quality, selection and savings; Adds 120 jobs to local community
Newtown Square, PA – GIANT Food Stores opens the doors of its brand new Newtown Square (Edgmont) location tomorrow Wednesday, November 6 at 8:00 a.m. The new 43,000 square foot store is located at 4855 West Chester Pike. Open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily, the Newtown Square GIANT employs 120 full and part time associates.
“We are so excited to offer the convenience of a GIANT Food Store right here in the Edgmont community,” said Scott Grygo, store manager. “Our newest Giant has all the quality, selection, and savings that busy families need.”
Key Departments Key departments such as produce, bakery, and deli are set off with their own look and feel, giving unique identities to the various sections of the store. These include:
- Market Fresh Produce – this vibrant department features a bountiful assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market – features Certified Angus Beef, 100% U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, and Grade A Chicken and offers a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish.
- Market Square Deli – brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar’s Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches, salads, GIANT’s signature fried chicken, fresh (never frozen) rotisserie chicken, pasta, soups and entrees.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe – the bakery features GIANT’s award-winning cakes and desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- WiFi Café – customers can relax and enjoy the cozy WiFi Café with free WiFi and tables for dining.
- Customer Service Area – designed to meet customer needs and offers many services, including Western Union, DVD rentals, money orders, ATM, lottery tickets and postage stamps.
Health and Wellness With its new Newtown Square location, GIANT continues its strong commitment to providing choices and products to its customers to achieve healthier lifestyles. An assortment of more than 2,500 natural and organic products is available in a dedicated section called Nature’s Promise Marketplace. This section also features a gluten-free product area for customers on gluten-free diets.
Thousands of GIANT’s own brand and national brand perishable and nonperishable products feature GIANT’s exclusive Healthy IdeasTM product labeling system. Blue and green Healthy Ideas shelf tags help customers identify healthy options as they shop the aisles. In addition to healthy products, GIANT offers customers a variety of in-store healthy solutions. Healthy Ideas Magazine, a free 32-page health and wellness publication focused on healthy living as it pertains to food, is available quarterly to GIANT customers.
Customer Friendly Technology Newtown Square customers can utilize GIANT’s state-of-the-art technology for added convenience. EasyScan allows customers to utilize one of four self-scanning units to expedite the checkout process.
Energy-Saving Features LED lighting is used in many areas of the Newtown Square GIANT, including overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in frozen food cases. LED lights are longer-lasting and are expected to reduce wattage by half. In addition, low emissivity glass has been installed on windows, reducing energy loss by as much as 30-50%. Warm concrete floors have replaced traditional tile, reducing the amount of cleaning solutions normally utilized.
Community Stewardship GIANT celebrated the opening of its newest store by giving $5,000 in donations to the following local organizations in a special presentation on November 5 at the store:
- Edgmont Township Fire Company No. 1
- Rose Tree Media School District
- City Team Ministries’ Food Pantry
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Delaware County Veterans Memorial
“GIANT has a 90 year history of living and giving in its local communities and we are committed to continuing our better neighbor efforts in Newtown Square,” said Grygo.
Grand Opening Festivities In celebration of the grand opening, Newtown Square customers can enjoy special grand opening savings and in-store entertainment:
- Grand Opening Day, November 6 from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. enjoy the music of the Mummers String Band.
- Grand Opening Day, November 6 from 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. meet HersheyPark characters as they visit the store.
- Join Freckles the Clown on November 9 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. as she walks the store making animal balloon sculptures for children.
Delaware County Heritage GIANT Food Stores has deep roots in Pennsylvania, founded 90 years ago in Carlisle. Today, GIANT is the third largest private sector employer in The Commonwealth, employing more than 26,000 Pennsylvanians statewide. The Newtown Square store is the ninth GIANT to open in Delaware County.
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2013, GIANT/MARTIN’S, headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods.