October 9, 2014
GIANT FOOD STORES OPENS NEW HAMPDEN TOWNSHIP STORE
Features in-store nutritionist, Beer Garden & Eatery and on-site fuel station to enhance overall shopping experience
Carlisle, PA – GIANT Food Stores opens the doors of its brand new Hampden Township location tomorrow Friday, October 10 at 8:00 a.m. Open 24 hours daily, the new 76,000 square foot store is located at 4510 Marketplace Way in Hampden Township and replaces the current GIANT store located at 310 East Penn Drive in Enola. Approximately 55 additional full and part time jobs were created to bring the total store workforce to approximately 275.
“GIANT is committed to being a better place to shop which is why we’re excited to introduce our new store format to our hometown Central Pennsylvania community,” said John-Paul (JP) Frattone, store manager. “Customers will still find the quality and savings they appreciate from GIANT plus some new, exciting features.”
Unique Health & Wellness Resources
With its new Hampden Township location, GIANT continues its strong commitment to providing choices and products to its customers to achieve healthier lifestyles. Holly Doan, RD, LDN has joined the store team as the Hampden Township in-store nutritionist. She will be available to assist customers with questions on healthy eating, provide one-on-one nutrition consultations and teach health-related classes for both adults and kids.
The GIANT Pharmacy has expert pharmacists available seven days a week to fill prescriptions and offer expert advice. As partners in good health, GIANT pharmacists can administer vaccines, suggest the right over-the-counter medications and help manage prescriptions.
Thousands of GIANT’s own brand and national brand perishable and nonperishable products feature GIANT’s exclusive Healthy IdeasTM product labeling system. Blue and green Healthy Ideas shelf tags help customers identify healthy options as they shop the aisles. In addition, an expanded assortment of more than 2,500 natural and organic products is available in a dedicated section called Nature’s Promise Marketplace. This section also features a gluten-free product area for customers on gluten-free diets.
Later this year, in partnership with PinnacleHealth System, a FastCare Clinic will open in the new Hampden Township store. The PinnacleHealth FastCare clinic will provide retail healthcare without an appointment seven days a week with evening hours. PinnacleHealth FastCare Clinic medical providers can treat a wide range of minor ailments including colds and flu, ear infections, minor burns and rashes, sinus infections and sore throats. These clinics also offer rapid strep tests, sports physicals, TB skin tests, urine pregnancy tests and urinalysis, in addition to immunizations and screenings.
Beer Garden & Eatery
The new Hampden Township location includes a Beer Garden & Eatery which will seat thirty-two. Customers will find a vast selection of domestic and imported beers with an emphasis on craft and specialty beers in the Beer Garden & Eatery. A wide variety of eat-in and take-out selections will be offered, including hot and cold sandwiches, wraps, subs and Panini’s; piping hot, savory soups; an array of baked foods and desserts; sushi; and a wide selection of other beverages and coffee. Customers will have a “mix- a-six” option where they can create their own six packs from a variety of craft beers. The Beer Garden & Eatery will be open Monday – Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
GIANT is enforcing a 100% proof-of-age policy at the Beer Garden & Eatery. Cashiers will ask for proper identification – a valid driver’s license, passport or military identification card – from any customer wanting to purchase alcohol, regardless of age. This location marks the 12th GIANT store to sell beer in Pennsylvania.
The Hampden Township GIANT features the company’s newest format and store
layout, anchored by a vast perishable hall. The fresh perishable departments such as
produce, deli, bakery, meat and seafood all come into view as customers enter the
store. The fresh hall will include these key departments:
- Market Fresh Produce – in addition to the bountiful assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables, this vibrant department also features a variety of fresh organic produce items and a salad bar.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market – features Certified Angus Beef, 100% U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, and Grade A Chicken and offers a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish. The Hampden Township store also offers a lobster tank and free steamer service.
- Market Square Deli – brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar’s Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches, salads, GIANT’s signature fried chicken, fresh (never frozen) rotisserie chicken, pasta, sushi, soups and entrees.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe – located deep in the store’s perishable hall, the bakery features GIANT’s award-winning cakes and desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- Floral – From holiday arrangements to simple bouquets to brighten someone’s day, full-service professional florists can help.
- Starbucks – For coffee lovers, a Starbucks coffee bar is available for customers to enjoy their favorite coffee and handcrafted beverages.
Outside in the store parking lot, customers will find a brand new fuel station where they can take advantage of additional savings at the pump with GIANT’s Gas Extra Rewards program. For every $100 spent on grocery and pharmacy out-of-pocket expenses at any GIANT using a BonusCard, customers receive ten cents off per gallon of gas when they fill up as part of Gas Extra Rewards.
The store will offer many other services, including Western Union, RedBox DVD rentals, money orders, ATM, lottery tickets and postage stamps.
Customer Friendly Technology
Back inside, Hampden Township customers can utilize GIANT’s state-of-the-art technology for added convenience, including SCAN IT! & SCAN IT! mobile. Using either your smartphone or a SCAN IT! handheld device, just scan and bag your groceries as you shop and sail through checkout – just pay and go. With SCAN IT! & SCAN IT! mobile, customers receive exclusive, personalized offers. You can also keep track of your total as you go, making it easier to stay on budget.
EasyScan allows customers to utilize one of four self-scanning units to expedite the checkout process. EasyWeigh enables customers to weigh their produce, bulk food and other items making checkout quicker and easier.
In addition, free WiFi is available throughout the store to utilize GIANT’s smartphone app when shopping.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new Hampden Township GIANT, which is pursuing LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, has been constructed with innovative building technologies to reduce energy consumption and the environmental impact of operations. LED lighting is used in many interior and exterior areas of the store to significantly reduce energy needs. Warm concrete floors have replaced traditional tile, reducing the amount of cleaning solutions normally utilized.
GIANT celebrated the opening of its newest store by giving $8,000 in donations to the
following local organizations in a special presentation on October 9 at the store:
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank
- Cumberland Valley School District
- East Pennsboro Fire Department
- East Pennsboro Area School District
- Hampden Township Police Department
- Hampden Township Volunteer Fire Company
- Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital
- United Way of the Capital Region
Grand Opening Festivities
In celebration of the grand opening, Hampden Township customers can enjoy special
grand opening savings, in-store entertainment, and giveaways over the next few weeks:
- Grand Opening Day, October 10 from 8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. enjoy Dixieland Express as they bring their New Orleans Style Dixieland jazz to the opening celebration.
- Grand Opening Day, October 10 from 8:15 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. come visit with some of your favorite Hershey Characters as they walk the store entertaining customers.
- Join Buttons & Bows Clown on Saturday, October 11 from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. for face painting and animal balloons.
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.