May 1, 2014
GIANT/MARTIN’S OFFER EASY WAYS TO INCORPORATE GLUTEN-FREE INTO YOUR DIET
May is Celiac Awareness Month
Carlisle, PA – May is Celiac Awareness Month. According to the National Institutes of Health, three million Americans have celiac disease, an immune disorder in which gluten damages the lining of the small intestine. Whether you have celiac disease, gluten intolerance/sensitivity or have chosen to go gluten-free for other reasons, GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets offers several ways to make gluten-free shopping and meal planning easier.
p> GIANT/MARTIN’S features blue and green labels on the shelf immediately below a gluten-free product to help customers easily identify gluten-free items as they shop the aisles of the grocery store. Currently, thousands of Own Brand and national brand products are identified as gluten-free throughout the perishable and nonperishable departments.
The team of GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists is also sharing several tips to help go gluten-free:
- Try gluten-free muesli for breakfast. Rich in whole grains, this cereal packs a punch to your morning routine.
- For a sweet treat, bake apple slices in the oven with a bit of cinnamon until soft and top with a light drizzle of agave and walnuts.
- When looking for gluten-free baked goods, look for high-fiber, watch out for sodium and keep portion control in check. Gluten-free doesn’t mean calorie-free.
- Make your own gluten-free trail mix by combing dry roasted edamame, almonds, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
- Quinoa is a nutrient-dense source when it comes to gluten-free grains. It’s rich in fiber and protein to keep you feeling full longer.
- Wheat-free products may still contain rye, barley or other gluten-containing grains. Read the ingredient list and when in doubt, go without.
- Perk up the flavor and texture of gluten-free breads, rolls and muffins by toasting them. Warming these products can result in a better flavor and texture.
- Crushed gluten-free corn flakes or raw quinoa make a great crunchy topping for fish, chicken or anywhere you’d use breadcrumbs. Spray the top with cooking spray to help it brown.
- Instead of bread or wraps, use romaine or kale leaves, add your favorite sandwich ingredients such as tuna or turkey, tomatoes, avocado, etc. and roll up.
- To replace pasta, experiment with zucchini or eggplant. Thin strips for spaghetti (cut with a knife) or wide ribbons for lasagna (made with a vegetable peeler).
- Xanthan gum can help improve your gluten-free baking. This thickening agent imitates gluten and provides elasticity that will help hold your baked items together.
- Let your pharmacy know you are following a gluten-free diet. Fillers in medications can have gluten-containing products.
In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists are hosting several informational classes on gluten-free. A complete schedule is included below:
- Cooking with Gluten-Free Grains - Tuesday, May 6 from 5 – 6 p.m. at Eldersburg MARTIN’S, 1320 Londontown Boulevard
- Gluten-Free Basics – Thursday, May 8 at 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. at Flourtown GIANT, 1874 Bethlehem Pike
- Gluten-Free Store Tour & Tasting - Saturday, May 10 from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Chesterfield Towne Center MARTIN’S, 11361 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond
- Gluten-Free Outside the Box – Tuesday, May 13 at 4 p.m. at Flourtown GIANT,1874 Bethlehem Pike
- Gluten-Free Store Tour & Tasting - Wednesday, May 14 from 4 – 5 p.m. at John Rolfe MARTIN’S, 2250 John Rolfe Parkway, Richmond
- Gluten-Free Store Tour & Tasting - Thursday, May 15 from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Crossridge MARTIN’S, 10250 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen
- Gluten-Free 101 - Tuesday, May 20 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. at Camp Hill GIANT,3301 Trindle Road
- Gluten-Free Product Sampling - Tuesday, May 20 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Linglestown Road GIANT, 2300 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg
- Gluten-Free Made Easy – Wednesday, May 21 from 1 – 2 p.m. & 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Montgomeryville GIANT, 1201 Knapp Road in North Wales
- Gluten-Free Tasting – Wednesday, May 28 from 1 – 2 p.m. & 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Montgomeryville GIANT, 1201 Knapp Road in North Wales
- Gluten-Free Summertime Picnics - Thursday, June 19 from 1 – 2 p.m. & 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Willow Grove GIANT, 315 York Road
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.