April 16, 2013
GIANT FOOD STORE OPENS NEW HAVERTOWN STORE
Introduces customers to quality, selection, and savings and adds 275 jobs to local community
Havertown, PA – GIANT Food Stores opens the doors of its brand new Havertown location tomorrow Wednesday, April 17 at 8:00 a.m. Open 24 hours daily, the new 76,000 square foot store is located at 116 W. Township Line Road.
“We can’t wait to open our beautiful new Havertown store so we can offer the savings, quality, and selection that GIANT is known for,” said Wayne Kofroth, store manager. “Our whole team did a great job preparing the store, and we look forward to delivering an exceptional shopping experience to our new neighbors.”
Beer Garden & Eatery
The new Havertown location will include a Beer Garden and Eatery which will seat thirty-two. Havertown customers will find a vast selection of domestic and import beers with an emphasis on craft and specialty beers in the Beer Garden and Eatery. A wide variety of eat-in and take-out selections will be offered, including hot and cold sandwiches, wraps, subs and Panini’s; piping hot, savory soups; an array of baked foods and desserts; and a wide selection of other beverages and coffee. Customers will have a “mix-a-six” option where they can create their own six packs from a variety of craft beers. The Beer Garden and Eatery Café will offer free WiFi and will be open Monday – Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
GIANT is enforcing a 100% proof-of-age policy at the Beer Garden and Eatery. Cashiers will ask for proper identification – a valid driver’s license, passport or military identification card – from any customer wanting to purchase alcohol, regardless of age. This location marks the eighth GIANT store to sell beer in Pennsylvania.
Onsite Fuel & Savings
For one-stop shopping, fuel pumps are located right outside of the new GIANT where customers can save more every time they fill up their gas tank with Gas Extra Rewards. For every $100 spent on food purchases using a BonusCard, customers receive 10 cents off per gallon of gas during promotional periods. The current promotion allows customers to earn and redeem points now through May 11. Points can be earned at any GIANT Food Store and redeemed at any GIANT fuel station.
Health and Wellness Commitment
With its new Havertown location, GIANT continues its strong commitment to providing choices and products to its customers to achieve healthier lifestyles. An assortment of more than 2,500 natural and organic products is available in a dedicated section called Nature’s Promise Marketplace. This section also features a gluten-free product area for customers on gluten-free diets. Thousands of GIANT’s own brand and national brand perishable and nonperishable products feature GIANT’s exclusive Healthy IdeasTM product labeling system. Blue and green Healthy Ideas shelf tags help customers identify healthy options as they shop the aisles. Your Neighborhood Drugstore at GIANT includes a full-service pharmacy for filling prescriptions along with providing informational materials about healthy living, drugs, disease and diet.
The Havertown GIANT features the company’s newest format and store layout, anchored by a vast perishable hall. The fresh perishable departments such as produce, deli, bakery, meat and seafood all come into view as customers enter the store. The fresh lineup includes:
- Market Fresh Produce – in addition to the bountiful assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables, this vibrant department also features a variety of fresh organic produce items and a salad bar.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market – features Certified Angus Beef, 100%
- U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, and Grade A Chicken and offers a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish. The Havertown store also has a lobster tank and steamer service.
- Market Square Deli – brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar’s Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches, salads, GIANT’s signature fried chicken, fresh (never frozen) rotisserie chicken, pasta, soups and entrees. A sushi bar is also available.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe – located deep in the store’s perishable hall, the bakery features GIANT’s award-winning cakes and desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- Floral – From holiday arrangements to simple bouquets to brighten someone’s day, full-service professional florists can help.
- Starbucks – For coffee lovers, Starbucks in-store coffee bar with a full service¬barista will be available and adjacent to the Beer Garden and Eatery.
- Customer Service Area – designed to meet customer needs and offers many services, including Western Union, SEPTA passes and tokens, RedBox DVD rentals, money orders, ATM, lottery tickets and postage stamps.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The Havertown GIANT, which is pursuing LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), has been constructed with innovative building technologies to reduce energy consumption and the environmental impact of operations. A total of 99 skylights have been installed to reduce electricity consumption during peak daylight hours when some of the store’s overhead lights will be cycled off.
LED lighting is also used in many areas of the store, including overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in frozen food cases. LED lighted exterior signage on the store requires 65% less energy than traditional neon lighting. In addition, low emissivity glass has been installed on windows, reducing energy loss by as much as 30-50%. Refrigerated display cases now use energy efficient fan motors and reach-in freezers have been equipped with non-ozone depleting refrigerants, energy efficient fan motors and low-energy anti-condensate heaters. Warm concrete floors have replaced traditional tile, reducing the amount of cleaning solutions normally utilized.
Customer Friendly Technology
Havertown customers can utilize GIANT’s state-of-the-art technology for added convenience. EasyScan allows customers to utilize one of six self-scanning units to expedite the checkout process. EasyWeigh enables customers to weigh their produce, bulk food and other items making checkout quicker and easier.
The award-winning Shopping Solutions kiosks, which are conveniently located throughout the store, enable customers to use the interactive touch-screen to check personalized BonusCard savings offers, print off coupons, locate an item in the store, and place a deli or Great Entertaining party tray order. Customers also have more than 2,500 delicious recipes at their fingertips that can be printed directly from the Shopping Solutions kiosks.
GIANT celebrated the opening of its newest store by giving $5,000 in donations to the following local organizations in a special presentation on April 16 at the store:
- Haverford Township Police Department
- Haverford Township School District
- Llanerch Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia – Children’s Miracle Network
- Upper Darby Food Cupboard
“GIANT has been part of the Pennsylvania fabric for 90 years, and we feel it is our responsibility to contribute to the well-being of the community,” said Kofroth. “Our associates get so fired up when it comes to giving back at community events.”
Grand Opening Festivities In celebration of the grand opening, Havertown customers can enjoy special grand opening savings, in-store entertainment, and giveaways over the next few weeks:
- Grand Opening Day, April 17 from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. enjoy The Mummers as they bring their iconic musical sounds to the opening celebration.
- Grand Opening Day, April 17 from 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. come visit with some of your favorite Hershey Characters as they walk the store entertaining customers.
- Grand Opening Day, April 17 from 8 a.m. – noon meet Kellogg’s iconic Tony the Tiger as he shows off his stripes.
- Grand Opening Day, April 17 from 10 a.m. – noon come meet the green, furry Phillie Phanatic as he entertains the crowd.
- Grand Opening Day, April 17 from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. get ready for your photo op when you come see the world-famous Oscar Mayer Weinermobile.
- Join Rockin’ Roxanne the Clown on April 20 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. as she walks the store making animal balloon sculptures for children.
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2013, GIANT/MARTIN’S, headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, operates 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods.