December 15, 2016
GIANT/MARTIN’S DONATES $100,000 TO SUPPORT LOCAL EDUCATION INITIATIVES IN PENNSYLVANIA
Carlisle, PA. (December 15, 2016) - GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN'S Food Markets today announced a $100,000 donation to 17 Pennsylvania educational foundations which support local schools. The $100,000 donation is part of the company's participation in Pennsylvania's Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC). This program encourages eligible businesses to contribute to scholarship organizations or educational improvement organizations within the Commonwealth to receive tax credits. GIANT/MARTIN'S has participated in the program for over ten years.
"This year's $100,000 donation is one of many ways GIANT/MARTIN'S is proud to support schools within our local communities," said Tom Lenkevich, GIANT/MARTIN'S president. "In addition to EITC donations, our A+ School Rewards school fundraiser provides millions for local school programs and supplies annually."
The following organizations recently received donations from GIANT/MARTIN’S:
- Altoona Area School District Foundation, Altoona - $5,000
- American Paradigm Schools, Philadelphia - $5,000
- Bubbler Foundation, Boiling Springs - $5,000
- Centennial Education Foundation, Warminster - $5,000
- Communities in Schools of the Lehigh Valley, Allentown - $10,000
- Economics PA, Selinsgrove - $10,000
- Falcon Foundation, Lebanon - $5,000
- Greater Hazleton Partners in Education, West Hazleton - $5,000
- Green Dragon Foundation, Lewisburg - $5,000
- Harrisburg Public School Foundation, Harrisburg - $10,000
- Lancaster Education Foundation, Lancaster - $5,000
- Manheim Township Educational Foundation, Lancaster - $5,000
- Northeastern Educational Intermediate Unit CORE Foundation, Archbald - $5,000
- Opportunity House, Reading - $5,000
- Susan P. Byrnes Education Center, York - $5,000
- Wyomissing Area Education Foundation, Wyomissing - $5,000
- York Suburban Education Foundation, York - $5,000
"Our store teams also welcome thousands of students into our stores each year to take part in our Kid Healthy Ideas store tours," added Lenkevich. "It's another way we're committed to being a Better Neighbor throughout the school year."
GIANT/MARTIN'S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN'S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN'S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN'S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN'S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.