November 10, 2016
GIANT FOOD STORES OPENS NEW COLONIAL PARK STOREProvides new opportunities for customers to save time, save money and eat well
Carlisle, PA. (November 10, 2016) - GIANT Food Stores opens the doors of its brand new Colonial Park store tomorrow, Friday, Nov. 11 at 8 a.m. The 69,000 square foot store at 5005 Jonestown Road, Harrisburg, which replaces the current GIANT store located at 5074 Jonestown Road, operates 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, seven days a week.
Approximately 80 additional full and part time jobs were created to bring the total store workforce to 250.
"This new store offers our customers a better place to shop by combining new store amenities such as a Beer and Wine Eatery within an easy to shop layout and with the same quality, selection and savings they have come to expect from GIANT," said Sherry Beitler, store manager.
Fresh offerings to eat well
The new Colonial Park GIANT features the company's newest store layout with an emphasis on fresh offerings to help customers not only eat well, but save money and time too. Fresh departments include:
- Produce Marketplace - Fill your basket with a harvest of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, including local seasonal picks, certified organics and specialty items.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market - features full service amenities with choices of Certified Angus Beef, 100% USDA Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, Grade A Chicken and a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish and a lobster tank with free steamer service.
- Market Square Deli - brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar's Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches and salads, GIANT'S signature fried chicken, fresh rotisserie chicken, pasta, soups, entrees and freshly prepared sushi.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe - features GIANT'S award-winning cakes and desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- Floral - Innovative designs and quality flowers can be found in the new Queen Collection. The Queen Collection features a number of stunning arrangements, including eight floral bouquets and two orchids that have all been personally named by Queen Latifah. From holiday arrangements to simple bouquets to brighten someone's day, GIANT'S full-service professional florists can help.
- A Starbucks coffee bar will be adjacent to the produce department. Customers can enjoy coffee, handcrafted beverages and merchandise in the store or on the go.
Helping customers save time
For added convenience, the new Colonial Park GIANT store features new departments and amenities to help customers save time in their overall shopping experience:
- Expert pharmacists at the in-store pharmacy are available seven days a week to fill and manage prescriptions, offer expert advice, administer vaccines and suggest the right over-the-counter medications.
- In addition to offering a variety of eat-in and take-out dining options, the Beer and Wine Eatery offers a large selection of craft, domestic and imported beers as well as a full selection of wine. GIANT enforces a 100% proof-of-age policy at the Beer and Wine Eatery. Cashiers will ask for proper identification from all customers wanting to purchase alcohol, regardless of age.
- Customers can also utilize GIANT'S state-of-the-art technology while shopping including SCAN IT! or SCAN IT! mobile. Using either a smartphone or a SCAN IT! handheld device, customers can scan and bag their groceries as they shop and pay at the checkout. With SCAN IT! and SCAN IT! mobile, customers receive exclusive, personalized offers and can get a total while shopping, making it easier to stay on budget. Free WiFi is also available throughout the store to utilize GIANT'S smartphone app while shopping.
- The Colonial Park GIANT offers other services, including an ATM, lottery tickets, money orders, postage stamps, RedBox DVD rentals, and Western Union.
Better neighbor commitment
GIANT celebrated its grand opening by donating $6,000 to the following regional organizations during a presentation on Thursday, Nov. 10:
- Central Dauphin School District
- Central Pennsylvania Food Bank
- Children's Miracle Network - Penn State Children's Hospital
- Dauphin County Heroes Grove
- Lower Paxton Township Police Department
- Paxtonia Fire Department #34
GIANT is dedicated to being a better neighbor and building healthier communities, focusing on efforts to fight hunger and improve the quality of life for children.
Grand Opening Festivities
In celebration of the grand opening, Jonestown Road customers can enjoy special grand opening savings, in-store entertainment, and giveaways throughout the weekend:
- Friday, Nov. 11: The first 200 customers will receive a GIANT reusable shopping bag, a 6 pack of GIANT Brand English Muffins, and a pack of Entemann's Little Bites.
- Saturday, Nov. 12: The Own Brands Team will award customers with $5 gift cards for purchasing GIANT brand products. Customers can also take a tour of GIANT'S Nature's Promise Airstream and pick out one free Nature's Promise item. In addition, free face painting will be offered for the kids.
- Sunday, Nov. 13: The first 250 kids will receive a free mood pencil. A balloon artist will also be making balloon animals for the kids.
GIANT/MARTIN'S is committed to working every day to help its customers save money, save time and eat well. Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN'S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN'S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN'S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit the GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.